Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA - 5th October 1997
UK readers please note: the Black Rock Desert is on Pacific Daylight Time, 8 hours behind British Summer
Spirit of America are planning to run again today, weather permitting. Parts of the playa are currently experiencing
a light dust storm.
ThrustSSC Project Status
The ThrustSSC Team are on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA, for the head-to-head race against the Spirit
of America Team to set the first ever supersonic World Land Speed Record.
Microplex Web Cameras
The very latest status of the car and team on the Black Rock Desert can be seen through the live pictures
Microplex Web Cameras.
Individual Status Reports
- ThrustSSC has reached a highest speed through the measured mile to date of 728mph on Thursday 25th September 1997
- Subject to confirmation by the FIA, ThrustSSC set a new Unlimited World Land Speed Record of 714.144mph on Thursday 25th September 1997
- The car is on the desert being prepared for the next runs of the Black Rock Campaign
- The ThrustSSC Team are settled into life in Gerlach and on the Black Rock Desert
- The dust is really getting onto some people's chests, despite the use of dust masks
- Long-stay Mach 1 Club member Fred has had to return home having run out of vacation time (thanks for all your
Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA
The current status of track preparations is:
Green - Lined and Fodded
Light Green - Lined
Red - Used
Yellow - Fodded
- The weather is generally cool with a light breeze, with afternoon temperatures reaching the mid 80s (Fahrenheit)
- Dust storms are being kicked up by higher winds
- Nights are very cold now - winter is coming
- Today has started warm and sunny with a breeze kicking up the dust on the playa
- Accesses are currently running around 5,000,000/week, 838,000/day
... is reported to have been trying to milk the concrete cows in Milton Keynes.
If you see him, please tell him to get back to the Black Rock and
let us know where it was.
- Changes are being made to the suspension height and tailplane angle to cure Friday's wandering
- The car is planned to run again tomorrow
- Black Rock Desert
- Continue track preparations, runs permitting
- Web Site
- Continue reporting
- Load new Team pages
Please check our Runs Database for the very latest information
on the progress of ThrustSSC - the database is always updated as soon as possible after the car runs - and always before any
report is written and published.
Spirit of America Project Status
(Please note: any details published on this Web Site about the status, speeds and plans of the Spirit of
America Team are not official. Official details are available on the Spirit of America Team's Web Site at
The Spirit of America Team are on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA, for the head-to-head race against the
ThrustSSC Team to set the first ever supersonic World Land Speed Record.
- Spirit of America has reached a peak speed to date of 675mph on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA,
during the October 1996 record attempt
- Spirit of America has reached a 1997 peak speed to date of 391mph on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA
- The team have decided to continue with the fifth wheel at the front, with dust build up being cleaned after
each day's running.
- The team plan to run again today
People have the strangest ways of deciding whether or not to visit us on the Black Rock Desert. One of our recent
visitors admitted that he had asked his dog...
About this site
||This site best viewed with Microsoft Internet Explorer 3
© SSC Programme Ltd, 1997